Sunday, April 27, 2008

It's no museum piece

When my mom died, we went through a lot of her stuff. While going through that stuff we were surprised to find artwork and other things from our childhood. Among the macaroni pictures and papier-mache ashtrays (neither of my parents smoked), I found a poster of Jim McMahon from the glory days of the Chicago Bears back in the mid '80s. I received it as a Christmas present the year they won the Super Bowl. It is now framed and hanging on the back of my office door.

I also found a painting I did in art class in junior high. I brought it home with me, and it spent a few weeks tucked in a corner of a room. I wasn't sure what to do with it. I was 13 when I painted it. It's not a masterpiece, but Mom had saved it all these years. I finally took it to the hobby store and bought a frame for it. No, it's not a masterpiece, but it makes me smile in the morning when the sun hits it.

No comments: