"If you are still looking for a newspaper reporter position, please let me know."It seems the newspaper I applied to is part of a much larger parent company, so this person could be looking for reporters for any number of cities. It could be quite an opportunity. However, (being the grumpy skeptic that I am) I have a few problems with the situation.
- I'm not really keen on relocating. The house is almost perfect now, and I like the town where I live.
- I like being a freelancer (even if I need to be more ambitious about it) and working for the Literacy Center part time.
- I'm not really a "newspaper reporter" and never really was.*
- It's been nine freaking months since I sent this resume. Do they think I was just sitting around waiting for them to reply to me? I have a lot going on -- this blog, for instance. Do they think I can just drop everything because they call? Well, do they?
* I'm more of a writer. And that's not just semantics. The articles I write are more along the lines of feature stories that don't involve tracking down leads or investigative reporting. Interviews I do tend to be with experts in their field. I've never had to talk to a parent who was mourning a lost child or holler at a corrupt politician for a sound bite.