Sunday, November 16, 2008

Did you ever notice

Did you ever notice when manufacturers try to market something that's traditionally male-oriented -- sporting goods, tools -- to women, they often don't change much except the color? You want a set of household tools in one handy case? Well, because you're a woman, here's a pink one! You want a set of golf clubs. Hmm, you're a woman. You must want them in pink! Not pink? Ok, here's some in pastel blue! Oh, you don't want pastel colors either? Hmmm. Oh, here we go, here's a set in beige ... with flowers on them! They're even making football jerseys in pink. Huh. I thought the Denver Broncos colors were orange and blue, but here's a women's version in pink.

I get the Pink Ribbon items, although I don't think everything has to actually be pink in order to get the word out about breast cancer awareness. But I'm not addressing the items that are pink for a cause. I'm talking about things that are pink (or flowered or pastel) just to try to appeal to women.

Maybe it's because I've always been a bit of a tomboy. Maybe it's because I have three older brothers who I always felt a need to compete with. Maybe it's because I grew up watching ERA demonstrations and hearing about Title IX. (Shut up. I know I'm old.) Or maybe I just don't like the color pink. It's probably all of those things but I don't understand trying to make these things more girly.

On the other hand, if the item is made with the same quality as the men's version, but sized to fit a woman, I'm all for that.

No comments: