Wednesday, November 19, 2008

No pain, no gain

We've all heard the slogan no pain, no gain. I always subscribed to the idea of no pain, no pain. I worked out. I just never believed I had to hurt in order to be in shape. When I did wind up with sore muscles, I knew not to push myself quite so hard next time. I think it worked for me. Granted I've never really been buff, but I'd like to think I look OK.

But now, I've gone and done it. In taking up running, I have caused myself pain in the name of fitness. I know there's a difference between muscle pain and joint pain. I've experienced both. I know to stretch and work through the achy muscles and to rest and rehab achy joints. But this latest pain is worse than achy muscles or sore joints, and it's not something I can really work through.

I have a blister on the arch of my foot! I didn't realize my sock had bunched up there. And I must have been in the zone, because I didn't feel it until walking around later. And I could sure feel it today when I ran. I'm not going to let it stop me. If Tiger Woods could win the U.S. Open with a broken leg, surely I can run with a little blister. I mean, sure, he had to play one of the toughest games of his life, and I just have to get through a non-competitive 5k. But, yeah, they're comparable.

No comments: