Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Meet Lucy and Opal

I've mentioned before that my mom was pretty crafty. She was talented at sewing, crocheting and baking and decorating cakes, as well as a wide variety of other crafts.

A few years ago she started making dolls (like the ones to the left here). I think she must have really enjoyed making them -- even though she called them ugly -- because she had a whole roomful of them. People would ask her to make them with various themes: sports teams, NASCAR racers, John Deere. I have one featuring the logo of my alma mater and another with (crazy cat lady?) cat theme.

I know I'm probably old enough that I shouldn't be naming my dolls and stuffed animals, but I still do. (Don't you judge me.) The one on the left is Opal, and her companion is Lucy. They grace the shelves in my office.

Their spindly legs, hand-sewn faces, crazy hair and floppy slippers make me smile. They also serve as a reminder of the importance of creativity and trying new things.

But mostly they make me smile.

2 comments:

Lisa @ Grandmas Briefs said...

Their knees make me smile!

melissa said...

i think these dolls are so beautiful! honestly, how crafty! i find myself really jealous- of your mother for having such skill... at you for having the coolest dollies of anyone i know over the age of four.