Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Reflecting

Less than a week ago, most of us probably spent at least a little time reflecting on the past year. Having a birthday so close on the heels of the new year, usually means I spend a few more hours this time of year reflecting on the past 12 months than people with birthdays in, say, June or July.

The past year hasn't been one of my best. I lost my mom. I lost my job. I found out I can't have a baby of my own. A bunch of my friends lost their jobs.

On the other hand, people I met at my job are still some of the best friends I have. And I'm not at a job that stresses me out every day. I feel like I have a closer connection with members of my family (loss can do that). And I'm still writing and making something of a living at it.

I don't really make new year's resolutions, but I try to set some goals, even if they are just to stay healthy and active, be kind and learn something new. My hopes for the coming year are that I will have more laughter, fewer tears, less stress and more love, health, wealth and happiness. I also hope that this year will be less eventful than the last couple. And I pass that wish on to those who read this blog. (Because you deserve some kind thoughts if you put up with my ramblings.)

Because it's my birthday, I am giving myself this lovely(?) giraffe(?) cake(?), courtesy of Cake Wrecks, one of my favorite sites. I believe it was posted on my birthday just for me.

I can laugh because someone didn't actually spend money on this disaster for my birthday.

So, happy birthday to me and a better year to all of us.

No comments: