Thursday, April 23, 2009

Recommended for you

Amazon has a nifty little feature that recommends items for you based on your purchases, your ratings and things added to your Wish List. Sometimes it confuses me.

Today, my recommendations include a Korg GA-30 Ultra Compact Guitar and Bass Tuner, "because you purchased Planet Waves PW-GH Acoustic Guitar Humidifier," and "Animaniacs, Vol. 3," "because you purchased 'Pinky and the Brain, Vol. 1.'"

Those make sense.

But what about "There Will Be Blood"? I haven't seen it. I don't know much about the film. But does it really seem like a movie I might like because I rated "Lars and the Real Girl"? Or "3:10 to Yuma" because I rated "Stardust"?

I've seen both "Stardust" and "3:10 to Yuma" and I while I liked them both, I'm having a hard time thinking of their commonality? They're both about a rescue? Sort of. But then one is set in the old west, with lots of gun play. The other is about a fallen star, witches and finding true love. Oh, there's a battle there, too. So, maybe the battles?

Maybe there are actors or actresses common to these recommended movies (I haven't checked) but I don't think that necessarily means you'll like the western with this guy just because you liked the fantasy movie with that guy.

But my favorite today: "Battlestar Galactica - Razor" because I rated "Futurama - Bender's Big Score." Because, you know, they're both "sci-fi."

No comments: